Sunday 20 December 2009

I am a chick flick junkie. I have to hold my hands up - I love them. There is no good reason for this, I’ll be the first to admit that they’re rubbish, but I love them anyway! Post essay treats, cold nights in, middle of the day boredom, something to watch over breakfast- I don’t really need an excuse, my only criteria is that they don’t make me think!

I think I should probably be ashamed for spending my Thursday afternoon watching Legally Blonde 3. Having loved the first two a bit too much, I thought the third would be a great way to spend an afternoon- DON’T DO IT! It’s horrific, as first of all Reese Witherspoon isn’t in it; there are some Andy Warhol style pictures of her on the walls but it’s no substitute. She has been replaced with identical British twins in high school. No sex appeal, no meat whatsoever (not that there was that much in the original) and all the men in it were about 13. I don’t think there is any need for me to say anymore, it sounds horrendous enough already. But the worst thing is I sat through the whole film.

This film could have ruined my mutually loving relationship with chick flicks, particularly those about intelligent blondes. The wound has been healed by my mother! She took me to see Legally Blonde the Musical. It’s pretty much the same as the first film but with cheesy songs and Duncan from Blue- could it get much better?

Do not go to this musical expecting something along the lines of Les Mis- you will be disappointed! But that’s the same as any chick flick; you don’t stick on John Tucker Must Die expecting the Oscar winning quality of Slumdog Millionaire. It had upbeat cheesy songs, scantily clad FIT men and it was rather reminiscent of the girl power craze that spread across the planet in the nineties.

Whilst for some the sequins, dancing and brainless story would probably have had them gauging their eyes out by the interval, it had me grinning from ear to ear and giggling the whole way through. The only time I questioned my presence there was when the audience cheered a dog jumping into a bag- it’s a dog, get over it!

Flicking through the programme I’m quite amazed at the cast. Considering this is what may be considered ‘low brow’ theatre it has some people who have done some rather incredible things. First we have Smithy’s sister Sheridan Smith as Elle Woods, and me being me, I was totally oblivious to the fact she’s been in a lot more than Gavin and Stacey. Then we have Duncan James, he was my imaginary boyfriend between the ages of twelve and fifteen which instantly makes him a superstar. Then we have Peter Davison, a much loved Dr. Who. Not to mention a cast who have appeared in pretty much all the hit musicals from Chicago to Wicked.

So if you’re the kind of person who likes to switch your brain off every once in a while, watch a romance unveil before your eyes, and bop along to some cheesy tunes, then this is definitely the musical for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment